Critical Thinking - TASK 3 - Words as Visual Expression


In this task, we are required as students to demonstrate his or her profile/ characteristics through various means of typographic elements/ expression. We need to choose five different words, using one word each to describe ourselves. In the process, other visual imagery such as, either in the form of photography, illustration, and digital outlet should not be used in the word. Upon completion, students are to compile the result in the form of a booklet, and together will include verbal analysis of the exercises.

Format size: A4
Colour format: Black/ White




Learning outcome:

Firstly, in order to get an understanding of the required task "Words as Visual Expression" requires one to think critically of the process of making typographic elements/ expression in order to get the right idea of producing "Words as Visual Expression."

In my understanding of the task, after carrying out my research, I discovered that the process of making typographic elements/ expression falls under the technique of 
Kinetic typography  — which is the technical name for "moving text."

"moving text"—is an animation technique mixing motion and text to express ideas using video animation. This text is presented over time in a manner intended to convey or evoke a particular idea or emotion.

Categories of Kinetic typography


Y.Y. Wong has proposed that it is important to distinguish between the properties of form (e.g. colour and font) and of behaviour (e.g. qualities of movement) in temporal typography. It is necessary to make this distinction in order to classify kinetic typography in ways that acknowledge their difference to static type (which may share properties of form, but not kinetic behaviours). Kinetic typography is therefore categorised according to behaviours or action, rather than appearance.
In classification, kinetic typography is a form of temporal typography (typography that is presented over time). It is distinct from other forms of temporal typography including 'serial presentation', which involves the sequential presentation of still typographic compositions. 

Layouts

Barbara Brownie's model of temporal typography divides kinetic typography into 'motion typography' (subdivided into 'scrolling typography', 'dynamic layout') and 'fluid typography':

Motion typography

In dynamic layout, text elements move in relation to one another. Letters and words may move away from one another on a 2D plane, or in three-dimensional space. Likewise, scrolling typography can scroll across the flat screen, or can appear to recede or advance.

Fluid typography

In fluid typography, letter-forms change and evolve without necessarily changing location.


Experimentation:

In my experience, I was able to think of five words to describe myself.

1). I am a left handed person. In order to express this using words as visual, I had to turn the writing of the text from left to right.

2). I am organized. I arrange my affairs in a systematic way having my affairs in order so as to deal with them efficiently.  In order to express this characteristics using words as visual, I arrange the word organized in different layers and numbers from 9 - 1 (The highest number to the lowest number).


3). I am reflective. In order to express this characteristics using words as visual, I had to turn the text upside down and use a lighter form to represent reflection.

4). I am different. Firstly, like I described above, I am left handed which makes me different. In order to express this characteristics using words as visual, I had to make the letter 'T' text different from the rest type font.
5). I am ambitious. My ambitions are as high as the tallest (skyscrapers) buildings. In order to express this characteristics using words as visual, I had to make the letter 'i' text higher than all other letters. The letter 'i'represents the twin tower skyscrapers which is the tallest building in Malaysia.

References:
Wikimedia Foundation Inc. 2014. Love - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. [ONLINE] Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love. [Accessed 23 December 14].

No comments:

Post a Comment